Dr. Dorothy McCoy wrote the book, The Manipulative Man, which helps us identify the traits and characteristics of manipulative people. Are you a manipulative person? Do you know a psychopath? Would you know it if you worked, or lived, with one?
Dr. McCoy reveals how clever manipulative people are at influencing us, to the point that we think we’re crazy! Find out what it takes to be a manipulative person, and how you may actually have a hand in causing their behavior to continue.
My favorite quote from this interview:
“If they can no longer score on you, then they can no longer manipulate you”
What Dr. McCoy teaches us:
- The categories of manipulators including narcissism and anti-social
- What manipulative people do that allow them to deceive us
- The signs of manipulation
- Digs into psychopathy – what the signs are, and how to know one
- Psychopaths are more common than you might believe
- The type of manipulator that knows how to avoid blame
- The type of manipulator that is a legend in their own mind
- A manipulator needs someone to manipulate – so guess who else is responsible for their behavior?
- How a manipulator can make you question your own sanity
- What to ask yourself if you are in a manipulative relationship
- Do you trust the statement, “I promise I’ll change!”?
- Can we change a manipulator?
Recommended Resources (affiliate links):
- The Manipulative Man
- Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of Psychopaths Among Us
- The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy
What’s Dr. McCoy doing nowadays?
- Working on a book on officer suicide
Connect with Dr. McCoy!
- Website: themanipulativeman.net
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to sign up for your weekly self-improvement tips! They’re fun, personal and insightful. I know you’ll love them.