Are you stuck in your career? Scott Barlow, career coach and founder at Happen To Your Career helps us understand what it takes to further your career, transition out of it, or simply figure out why you feel stuck in it.
Having changed his major in college multiple times, Scott was always trying to figure out his path. When he struck upon Business as a major, he was hooked! Scott will share his story as he goes from job to job, until stumbling upon the career that played to his strengths and gave him the tools he needed to not only enjoy his job, but propel him into his own coaching and consulting business.
Scott teaches you to happen to your career, not let your career happen to you!
If you’re ready to examine what role you play in your career, or just need a boost in the right direction, you’ll learn a lot in this episode.
My favorite quote from this interview:
“When you’re wanting so badly to get out of something that you’re in, it’s hard to think clearly, and it’s hard to be logical…”
What Scott teaches us:
- How to know if you’re doing “great” work
- How to figure out what your strengths are
- How to know if you’re stuck in your career
- Learning what has to be present for you to like your job
- Why doing what is true to you is the only way to enjoy every aspect of your career
- You can be yourself at work
- Why people resist change, or standing up for themselves at work
- Between 71 and 82 percent of people are unhappy about their job. You already knew this didn’t you… But do you know why?
- The most common reason people leave their job
- How your stress increases when you do something that doesn’t mesh with your personality
- Learn what strengths that you can bring into a job that may pay better, feel better, and make you happier
- How if you want something in your life, happen to it, don’t wait for it to happen to you
Recommended Resources (affiliate links):
- Strengths Finders 2.0 by Tom Rath
- The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau
- Happen to your Career podcast
What’s Scott doing nowadays?
- Career coaching at Happen To Your Career
- Working on the Work You Love One-Stop application
Connect with Scott!
- Website: http://www.happentoyourcareer.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/happentoyourcareer
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/HappenToIt
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to sign up for your weekly self-improvement tips! They’re fun, personal and insightful. I know you’ll love them.